"I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth"

What believest thou when thou sayest, I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth

That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (who out of nothing made heaven and earth, with all that is in them; who likewise upholds and governs the same by His eternal counsel and providence) is for the sake of Christ His Son, my God and my Father, on whom I rely so entirely, that I have no doubt that He would provide all things necessary for soul and body; and further that He will make whatever evils He sends upon me, in this valley of tears, turn out to my advantage; for He is able to do it, being Almighty God, and willing being a faithful Father."

One of the many blessings that the Lord has afforded me with lately is the privilege of learning about the Heidelberg Catechism during our second service. Last Sunday we looked at this particular question and answer. It is a favorite for many - and I can understand why! We talked about the Lord's providence and intention behind our suffering and how it directly relates to the Gospel. I wanted to take some time to share two things that were particularly meaningful and comforting to me - and I hope is for you too!

1. That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is also my Father and my God.

I have been guilty of relating to God as my judge rather than a loving and faithful Father. I have harbored the secret suspicion that He was going to ultimately judge me and cast me away forever. It all depended on whether I had a "good day" or a "bad day". Did I spend sufficient time in the word and prayer today? Did I make an effort to share the Gospel today? Did I have a good attitude today towards my coworkers and my family members? The list goes on. If my answers to those questions were not sufficient, then I started to question the validity of my faith. If they were sufficient in my own estimation, I became puffed up and self righteous. In both situations, God seemed distant. The constant questioning was exhausting and it seemed that no matter how much I did, I never truly felt that the Lord was pleased with me. It is lonely and terrifying to constantly think and relate to God as Judge, and fear that on judgement day, He would say "Depart from me". I imagine I'm not the only one who has harbored these secret thoughts, too ashamed to share with others for fear that their suspicions are confirmed.

However, the wonderful news of the Gospel declares to us that for Christ's sake- God is also my Father and no longer my Judge. Christ "who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2), has exhausted all of the anger and wrath that we deserved. The Gospel declares to us that in His living, He earned our righteousness, so that I am not only forgiven and seen as though I had never sinned, I am also seen as though I have perpetually kept the law. "When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory" (Col. 3:4). The Gospel declares to us that we have nothing to fear on Judgment day - because our Judgment day already occurred 2,000 years ago.

The Gospel gives us the promised Spirit "that bears witness with our Spirit that we are children of God" (Romans 8:16) Because of the Gospel, we can confidently proclaim with Paul that "neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans: 8:38-39. These precious promises purchased for us by Christ, takes us out of the endless navel gazing and turns them to the objective grounds for our assurance. He has done these things for us and therefore, we can confidently declare that God is our Father!

2. He will make whatever evils He sends upon me, in this valley of tears, turn out to my advantage; for He is able to do it, being Almighty God, and willing being a faithful Father.

We live in a broken and evil world that has been destroyed by sin. When Adam and Eve sinned, not only was the human race cursed, but all of creation. We live in the tension of the already and not yet. We already possess eternal life, but we have not yet experienced the fullness of its reality. And we won't until Jesus comes back. So what are we to make of our suffering? What are we to make of the loss and pain that we experience? What are we to make of this "valley of tears" that we call life? The answer is found in the Incarnation: Jesus born in human flesh who became the suffering Savior. Why is our Father able to use adversity and destruction for our good and benefit? Because Christ suffered as we have. He suffered betrayal and loss. He has even tasted the sting of death - so that by His resurrection, we may rise to newness of life.

The worse thing that can possibly happen to us is to be forsaken by God. Yet Jesus was, for our sake, forsaken by His Father. Whatever befalls us this side of redemption cannot be compared to the horrors that He endured, and the glory that is to be revealed. We have been born again to a living hope. As we mourn and despair over sin's destructive attributes, we remember that we can also rejoice with hope and confidence, because He lives and intercedes for us constantly. And if that is not enough to illicit tears of gratitude, the Father is willing! Whatever trials we endure, our faithful Father, is ready and eager to use them for our ultimate good. We truly are safe.


What a beautiful hope and salvation that we have in Christ. So often we can become distracted by the sins that accuse us daily, and unfortunately even what we hear taught to us, that we lose sight of the objective assurance that Christ has indeed accomplished all on our behalf. The Father is willing! let that sink in! Let it move and shape you! He is benevolent and kind towards you in Christ and you are hidden in Him. Beloved may you move forward in this grace always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Undertone of Lordship Salvation

The Name He Gives

"I Stand in the Gospel of Jesus Christ"