Safety in Grief

 “Mine are tears in times of sorrow. Darkness not yet understood. Through the valley I must travel where I see no earthly good. But mine is peace that flows from heaven and a help in times of need. I know my pain will not be wasted, Christ completes His work in me” - Christ is Mine Forevermore - CityAlight


The past few months have been very difficult for me. However, I have also learned that I am deeply loved by my family, my friends, and my God. That knowledge has carried and sustained me. This Thanksgiving I find myself feeling grateful. I am solemnly grateful because I am aware that not all of my brothers and sisters in Christ are able to rejoice this season. The Holiday season is hard for so many, and my heart breaks for you as I think about all of the pain you are carrying this year. I am so sorry. I don't want this post to be about the need for gratitude as a Christian because I think the sting of that obligation might be too difficult to bear for some who will read this, even if it is meant with the best intentions. 

I want to remind you Beloved that you are safe. I want to remind you that the Gospel always gives what the law demands. Christ was grateful for you and in your place. His gratitude is your standing before God. His obedience to the Father's will is your cloak of righteousness that will always be able to withstand judgement. You are safe to be where you are this season and grieve. His love for you never waivers.

You are safe to grieve in the mediation of Christ because He was also "a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" (Isaiah 53:3).  He wrapped Himself in human frailty to suffer with us and for us to bring about our salvation. 

"Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. He was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we re healed" Isaiah 53:4-5

The compassionate Christ by virtue of His own life is our great High Priest who is able to minister to us grace and mercy in our time of need: 

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and fin grace to help in time of need  (Hebrews 4:15-16)

The Father's heart towards us in Christ is tender compassion, love, and care. The ultimate reality of your life is that you belong to your “faithful Savior Jesus Christ who has fully paid for all of your sins..” (Heidelberg Q&A 1). Beloved you can lament in the safety of this reality without fear and be carried by the weight of Christ’s life and love for you. 



Helpful Resources: 

Emotions & The Gospel  - Freely Given 
Forgotten Emotions of Jesus - Freely Given 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Undertone of Lordship Salvation

The Name He Gives

"I Stand in the Gospel of Jesus Christ"